Generally E-commerce is a place where we can buy and sell products over internet. Electronic Commerce has spread its wing in so many verticals such as Mobile commerce, Electronic data transfer, online transaction processing, automated data collection etc. Generally E-Commerce is considered to be a sales part of a business, Modern electronic commerce typically uses the World Wide Web at least at one point in the transaction’s life-cycle, although it may encompass a wider range of technologies such as e-mail, mobile devices social media, and telephones as well.
Testing on E-commerce sites
Testing is crucial to E-commerce because E-commerce sites are both business critical and highly visible to their users, if any failure occur can be immediately expensive in terms of losing revenue and losing their customers too.
Because if failure occurs in regular interval customers may seek other sites, so the testing is very important in business aspects thoroughly.
Following testing are most important in web application.
- Usability Testing.
- Integration Testing.
- Compatibility Testing.
- Performance Testing.
- Security Testing.
Test for – all the links in web pages, database connection, forms used in the web pages for submitting or getting information from user, Cookie testing.
Check for all the links.
- Internal links.
- External links.
- Test to check there is an orphan pages.
- Broken links.
Test Forms in all pages.
- Test all the field validation on each page.
- Check the default values.
- Check with Negative inputs.
- Similarly doing a modifications, deletions.
Test for cookies
- Testing on cookies is very important one, it has two types “Session” and “Persistent Cookies”.
- Check the Date integrity and Data Consistency is very important in web applications.
- Check the all possible queries executed properly.
- Check the data retrieved correctly or not.
- Similarly in update and delete version.
Test for navigation
- Web site should be easy to use.
- Inline message (ie) instruction should be given properly.
- Think from the user side whether the navigations (buttons, links, search and quick view) are satisfied or not.
- Check the content whether easy to understand or not.
- Check the spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- Check font and it sizes and their alignments.
- Images and their sizes based upon the web development.
- Search including quick search
- Site map
- Help videos and files.
- Contact us (which include proper number to contact).
- The main interfaces are: Web Server and Application server interface
Application server and Database server interface.
- Check if all the interactions between these servers are executed properly. Errors are handled properly. If database or web server returns any error message for any query by application server then application server should catch and display these error messages appropriately to users. Check what happens if user interrupts any transaction in-between? Check what happens if connection to web server is reset in between?
Compatibility is very important one in non functional testing to evaluate the application with the computing environment.
- Browser Compatibility
- OS Compatibility
- Mobile browsing
- Printing options
Web application should sustain the heavy load. Test the performance of the web application is very important one.
Performance test which includes as below
- Web load test
- Web stress test
Test the application in different internet connection speed.
Web load test
Many user can able to request the same page then check the system can able to sustain at peak load time, user may insert large set of data at a time then check how it reacts.
Web Stress Test
Generally Stress means to check the application beyond its limits. How system reacts when breaks the systems and how systems get recovered after crash.
- Login credentials
- Pasting the internal url without login.
- Check with page bookmark.
- Web directories and files should not allow downloading with giving the option to download.
- All transactions, error messages, security breach attempts should get logged in log files somewhere on web server.